Interview with Pro Triathlete José Jeuland

I really want to thanks José Jeuland for the interview. As a pro triathlete i now that his routine is very hard. He was very friendly and responded promptly my request for the interview, despite being a phase of intense IM races. An example of athlete. I was already his fan, but from now on i will be a little more!
1) Personal info
Name: José Jeuland
Age: 31
Nationality: French
Profession: Professional Triathlete
Residency/Location: My time is split evenly between California and France, living half of the year in San Diego and the other half in Bretagne.
Other Interests/Hobbies: Photography (Just check out my Instagram! josejeuland)
 I love my lifestyle choice, it challenges me and teaches me a lot about myself.



2) How did you start tri?
I first began training and racing triathlons when I was 18, although I have always been a runner. I competed in cross country, track, and road races when I was younger (around 10-12 years old). When I was a teenager, I picked up cycling from my father, who was a great cyclist; one of my favorite memories is riding with him during the summers.
My first exposure to IRONMAN was the televised World Championships in Hawaii. I watched in awe as these athletes pushed their bodies to its limits. Never did I think I would one day compete in an IRONMAN and push myself through these same extremes. After that, I began reading magazines and talking with friends – other thriathletes – who had competed in triathlons to better understand the race. It didn’t take long for me to register.
 In 2004, at 22-years-old, I competed in my first IRONMAN, IRONMAN Austria. My time was great: 9 hours and 7 minutes for the race and 3 hours and 5 minutes for the marathon portion! With this time, I qualified for the World Championships in Hawaii, where I finished 2nd in my age-group (18-24). It was surreal to race with and stand among Michael Gohner of Germany who placed 1st in our age-group and Justin Daerr of the USA who placed third.
3) What is your best discipline?

Definitely the run, but I am pretty solid in all parts of the triathlon this year. I ride best on a flat bike course. I would like to improve my swim as my goal is to always be with the front pack in the water. My plan is to cater my training to focus more on the swim this winter, however, trying to find a place to do that has proved challenging.
 
4) What about your train routine?

I don't have the same training routine throughout the year. In the winter, I spend a lot of time in the gym doing strength training. Two to three months before the competition season begins, I train between 25 and 40 hours a week. During races, I train less with more recovery days. San Diego provides the best conditions for training. While living in California, I like to swim 5 or 6 times a week, ride 4 or 5 times a week, and run 4 or 5 times a week.
5) What kind of tri races do you your prefer (70.3, IM, olympic)?

I like everything, but I prefer the 70.3 because the distance allows you to recover faster, but the course is still long enough to provide a challenge. I tell myself, “IRONMAN is such hard training. It requires too much personal investment, the race is very difficult, the recovery time is longer, and if you had a bad day it quickly turns into a day from hell.” All that said, I do have a strong desire to do them. Actually, I’m looking for an IRONMAN after I compete in IRONMAN Nice in June.
6) What "tips"  do you could give who wants start triathlon?
People who come from swimming, cycling or running background already have the basic science for training. I would suggest becoming a part of a Triathlon Club, they are usually very friendly and helpful. Plus, it is much easier to train with people who have experience. Otherwise, I suggest reading magazines and searching on websites for more information about triathlons training. It's a great sport, easy to do, and you don't need to have a high level of past athletic ability to enjoy this sport. It’s very social and you will learn a lot about yourself.

0 comentários:

Postar um comentário